Wednesday, September 9, 2015

He Spoke Style, but Hopefully in a Less Pretentious Way

Barring the name of He Spoke Style (which could use a bit of work) and before you even get to the content, I think you'll find the blog to be a layout and organizational masterpiece. He Spoke Style is a men's fashion blog by definition, but I think that sounds awkward, so I'd describe it as they would -- "a site with men's style inspiration along with practical style advice". What I (and other authors on this site who you should totally be reading) will be engaging in is called rhetorical analysis. Rhetorical analysis is the study of the techniques authors, and really anyone who creates anything meaningful, use to bring their point across clearly and efficiently. An example might be to link and source to everything to establish credibility, using charts to make data more tangible, or, in the case of He Spoke Style, the heavy use of pictures and images to help readers visualize concepts. This blog utilizes many rhetorical devices to convey their objective of sharing new ideas about men's style and dress. A few of which are relevance and originality, devices that are utilized excellently in this blog. If you did nothing else correctly while writing a style blog, you would at least need to be relevant and original. They accomplish this by not only bringing across ideas that are possible for the everyday person, but ideas that are original without being over the top or "flamboyant". Hopefully I can shed some light on the rhetorical techniques used over at He Spoke Style in an informed way since I like to consider myself someone who follows style, even if I do not always practice what I preach. I think specifically in this topic, it's important to be well versed in it before you can accurately judge the work of others. All in all, I think the topic of style/fashion, or whatever you want to call it, can be a difficult one to bring across clearly. It takes creativity to be able to convey the idea of what is appropriate dress and what is acceptable and what is not, so I'd like to better understand how it's done in the context of this He Spoke Style and how ideas are conveyed in other blogs as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment